Subject: Re: bug#50960: [PATCH 00/10] Add 'guix shell' to subsume 'guix environment'

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 21:45:06 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 at 20:19, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Well, the section «Invoking guix environment» should be revamped.
>> Especially, all the examples.  Let do that by another commit (later).
>
> I don’t know.  I kept it as-is, in “frozen” state, on the grounds that
> people will still be using it for some time and will want to see the
> reference.  WDYT?

I agree with the messages I sent. :-)

<http://issues.guix.gnu.org/50960#33>
<http://issues.guix.gnu.org/50960#41>
<http://issues.guix.gnu.org/50960#43>

Other said, I would let the manual “frozen” until next release (or next
next release).  Then, I would remove the section and instead replace by
two points:

 1. the commit introducing “guix shell”, i.e.,
 4aa41a37f0819c9e1750bca0af47e632c2443d50 which is the last commit
 officially supporting “guix environment” somehow;

 2. if people want to run “guix environment” or read documentation, then
 they still can using “guix time-machine” with the mentioned commit.

Somehow, turn the current “guix environment” examples into “guix shell”,
remove “guix environment” section, and add an warning box to “guix
shell” section explaining the difference (--ad-hoc vs -D) and provide
the way to get the old manual.

Cheers,
simon