Subject: [bug#50960] [PATCH 00/10] Add 'guix shell' to subsume 'guix environment'

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 20:19:38 +0200

Hi!

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The environment variable named GUIX_ENVIRONMENT remains unchanged.  I
> have no opinion if it is misleading or not for newcomers.

I think it’s fine.

[...]

> About completion, “guix environment” is in zsh and fish, “guix shell” is
> not yet.

Oops.  I updated “shell” support for Bash completion (see
80edb7df6586464aa40e84e103f0045452de95db).  Can someone proficient in
zsh or fish help with these two?

> Last, in the manual, this,
>
> Here, @command{guix environment -C} creates a container and spawns a new
> shell in it (@pxref{Invoking guix shell}).  The @command{strace gdb}
> part adds the @command{strace} and @command{gdb} commands to
> the container, which you may find handy while debugging.  The
> @option{--no-grafts} option makes sure we get the exact same
> environment, with ungrafted packages (@pxref{Security Updates}, for more
> info on grafts).
>
> in the node «Debugging Build Failures» should be replaced.  Because the
> example just above this snippet does not refer to “guix environment”.

Oops, fixed as well.

> Well, the section «Invoking guix environment» should be revamped.
> Especially, all the examples.  Let do that by another commit (later).

I don’t know.  I kept it as-is, in “frozen” state, on the grounds that
people will still be using it for some time and will want to see the
reference.  WDYT?

Thanks for these last-minute comments!

Ludo’.