Subject: [PATCH v2 00/11] 'guix shell' strikes again

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 23:37:58 +0200

Hello Guix!

Here’s a v2 with the following changes:

  • ‘guix.scm’ and ‘manifest.scm’ only loaded in interactive mode,
    as suggested by Konrad.

  • Auto-loading happens if and only if the containing directory
    is listed in ~/.config/guix/shell-authorized-directories, as
    suggested by Florian.  When a file is found but not authorized,
    a hint is displayed explaining what to do.

  • ‘-q’ inhibits auto-loading.

  • Auto-detection of ‘guix.scm’ and ‘manifest.scm’ uses lexical
    “..” resolution and does not cross device boundaries.

  • Long version of ‘-f’ is now ‘--file’, like for ‘guix build’.

  • Caching also works with files explicitly specified with ‘-m’
    or ‘-f’.  That way, ‘guix shell -f guix.scm -- make’ benefits
    from it.

  • Cache key does not include file name, to avoid cache misses
    given that the file name is not canonicalized (see discussion
    with Maxime).

  • Documentation, including a tentative EOL date for ‘guix
    environment’ (“supported until at least May 1st, 2023”).  The
    intention is to give an incentive to switch while reassuring
    that it won’t disappear overnight.

How does that sound?  :-)

Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (11):
  packages: Add 'package-development-inputs'.
  profiles: Add 'package->development-manifest'.
  Add 'guix shell'.
  DRAFT shell: By default load the local 'guix.scm' or 'manifest.scm'
    file.
  DRAFT shell: Honor in ~/.config/guix/shell-authorized-directories.
  environment: Add tests for '--profile'.
  environment: Skip derivation computation when '--profile' is used.
  environment: Do not connect to the daemon when '--profile' is used.
  environment: Autoload some modules.
  cache: Gracefully handle non-existent cache.
  shell: Maintain a profile cache.

 Makefile.am                         |   2 +
 doc/contributing.texi               |   8 +-
 doc/guix.texi                       | 443 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 guix/cache.scm                      |  10 +-
 guix/packages.scm                   |  10 +
 guix/profiles.scm                   |  19 ++
 guix/scripts/environment.scm        | 260 ++++++++--------
 guix/scripts/shell.scm              | 355 ++++++++++++++++++++++
 po/guix/POTFILES.in                 |   1 +
 tests/guix-environment-container.sh |   8 +
 tests/guix-environment.sh           |   7 +
 tests/guix-shell.sh                 | 100 +++++++
 tests/packages.scm                  |  14 +
 tests/profiles.scm                  |   7 +
 14 files changed, 1098 insertions(+), 146 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 guix/scripts/shell.scm
 create mode 100644 tests/guix-shell.sh

-- 
2.33.0