Subject: [bug#50960] [PATCH 00/10] Add 'guix shell' to subsume 'guix environment'

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 15:38:55 +0200

Hi,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Fri, Oct 08, 2021 at 09:43:19AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> No, it’s the same.  However, ‘-D’ here affects only the immediately
>> following package, whereas ‘--ad-hoc’ would affect every package that
>> follows.
>
> I must not know the correct terminology; that's what I was trying to
> ask.
>
> Can we keep the old behavior?  Or do we think this new way of doing it
> is better?

What do you mean by “old behavior”?

I think there’s large consensus that ‘--ad-hoc’ should be the default,
and that’s the main motivation behind this patch series.

As for ‘-D’: we could arrange so that it has effect on all the following
packages.  However, if we did that, we’d need to reintroduce ‘--ad-hoc’
to cancel the effect of ‘-D’.

More importantly, I think having ‘-D’ affect only the immediately
following package is more consistent with typical usage—I don’t think
I’ve ever run ‘guix environment foo bar baz’ to get the merged
development environments of all three packages.

Thanks,
Ludo’.