Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [bug#50960] [PATCH 00/10] Add 'guix shell' to subsume 'guix environment'

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 14:01:19 +0200

On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 07:17:43AM -0400, Thompson, David wrote:
> 'guix shell' with
> no other arguments should "just work" in the context of whatever
> project I am in.

If you only care about projects: Searching only guix.scm and
manifest.scm files when a .git subdirectory is present would indeed be
better than going through all parent directories.  I do not know git
well enough to judge if that could interfere with git worktrees and
git submodules.

The only remaining problem would be novice users
who know “guix shell program-a program-b” and who do not expect “guix
shell” without argument instead loads code from a file.

I’m also afraid of git hooks btw, which is why I clone old git
checkouts from the backup instead of copying, but at least they stay
local to the .git checkout.

I still don’t understand why not having to type --file is useful
though.

Regards,
Florian