Subject: [bug#50960] [EXT] Re: [bug#50960] [PATCH 00/10] Add 'guix shell' to subsume 'guix environment'

From: "Thompson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 07:17:43 -0400

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 6:52 AM pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I’m not a direnv user and frankly don’t really understand the gain
> from loading by default the guix.scm file nor manifest.scm.
>
> My fear is accidentally running code, possibly malicious, possibly
> just a backup script one happened to call guix.scm.  In German we have
> the word DAU for “dumbest assumable user”.  Guix without shell is
> DAU-prove.

I don't think your fear should outweigh the immense user friendliness
of having some established conventions to ease development.  Every
mainstream developer tool I use in the professional word has
conventions like this, and the result is that it is quick and easy to
jump into a new project and get the software you need to be
productive.  Guix needs to embrace this kind of usability if it hopes
to offer a real alternative to these other tools.  'guix shell' with
no other arguments should "just work" in the context of whatever
project I am in.

- Dave