Subject: Re: [bug#50960] [PATCH 00/10] Add 'guix shell' to subsume 'guix environment'

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 12:52:36 +0200

I’m not a direnv user and frankly don’t really understand the gain
from loading by default the guix.scm file nor manifest.scm.

My fear is accidentally running code, possibly malicious, possibly
just a backup script one happened to call guix.scm.  In German we have
the word DAU for “dumbest assumable user”.  Guix without shell is
DAU-prove.

Both

- Konrad Hinsen’s suggestion of two different commands and

- Nicolò Balzarotti’s suggestion of having to explicitly allow a file

would take away my paranoia of accidentally running code.  (By just
not using Konrad Hinsen’s other command.)

- Hidden .-rc files in the current directory would not take away my
  paranoia of malicious code.

- I think printing a suggestion to use --file=../guix.scm is fine.

Bash is different from Guix Shell.  It does not load code from . or
arbitrary parent directories.

Regards,
Florian