Subject: Re: [bug#50960] [PATCH 00/10] Add 'guix shell' to subsume 'guix environment'

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 10:34:00 +0200

Hello!

Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On 2021-10-02, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>>   2. ‘guix shell’, without arguments, loads ‘guix.scm’ or ‘manifest.scm’
>>      from the current directory or one of its ancestors.
>
> This sounds a little scary to me, just implicitly importing whatever
> happens to be lying around doesn't sound very guixy...

Right, it would be the first command that does that.

I became quite convinced that conventions and, thus, implicit arguments
can occasionally improve usability.  We use tools that operate this way
daily: ‘make’, ‘git’, etc.  Dave nicely argued about it:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-08/msg00300.html

But yeah, it is a departure from what we’ve done so far, so we should
take the time to think through it.

Thanks,
Ludo’.