Subject: bug#50959: 28.0.50; Shorthand symbols are unknown to Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 15:10:10 +0300

> Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 00:53:55 +1300
> From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> Hi João,
> 
> On 2021-10-03 00:02, João Távora wrote:
> > In other words, Phil, if you wish me to do anything about this bug, you
> > must explain exactly what you are doing and what you expect.  What does
> > it mean precisely for "Emacs to recognise the shorthand symbols
> > generally".  Currently it "recognizes" them when the buffer where they
> > are setup is current.
> 
> I'm just the messenger on this occasion.  I was describing to Eli how
> shorthands exhibit the exact same problem that was objectionable in the
> "nameless" approach, and he asked me to raise it as a bug.

Let me translate: is "C-h" command the only use case you have in mind
where you saw a problem with shorthands?  If there are others, and
they involve Emacs's internal functionalities (as opposed to, say,
searching with Grep or some other text-oriented tool), please describe
them.

> I think that the shorthand symbols will need to be interned to avoid
> this (or at least I can't think of any other solution which avoids the
> problem).

They are already, or something very similar.