Subject: bug#50958: 27.2; Very blurry svg rendering on Retina screen

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 04:25:20 -0300

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time getting org-mode LaTeX preview to render without
excesive blurriness. I started with a default configuration of emacs
27.2 from https://emacsformacosx.com/. Since that build doesn't support
svg rendering, I moved to emacs 27.2 from
https://github.com/d12frosted/homebrew-emacs-plus, which is compiled
with svg support. But the rendering ended up being as blurry as with
png. So I opened the particular svg files that the org-mode backend was
producing in the stock Preview app and they look just fine. I also
opened them with doc-view and they look as bad as in org-mode. So is
this a known issue? Some part seems to have the wrong idea of the actual
resolution of my device.

Best regards,
Carlos

---

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.6.0, NS appkit-2022.60 Version 11.6 (Build 20G165))
 of 2021-10-02 built on Carloss-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.6

Recent messages:
Loading ns-auto-titlebar...done
Loading org-roam-db...done
Loading paren...done
Loading winner...done
Clearing removed files...done
Processing modified files...done
Loading /Users/carlos/.emacs.d/recentf...done
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
Loading dired-x...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
user-error: The mark is not set now, so there is no region
Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus@27/27.2/share/info/emacs
 --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus@27/27.2 --with-xml2 --with-gnutls
 --without-dbus --with-imagemagick --with-modules --with-rsvg --with-ns
 --disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
RSVG IMAGEMAGICK GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM NS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_AR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  my-fill-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  org-roam-db-autosync-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  ns-auto-titlebar-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/carlos/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20210928.1325/magit-section-pkg hides /Users/carlos/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-section-20210829.1849/magit-section-pkg

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
mail-utils display-fill-column-indicator checkdoc lisp-mnt flymake-proc
flymake warnings thingatpt visual-fill-column pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet dired-x
dired dired-loaddefs pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools
compile pdf-view bookmark text-property-search pp jka-compr pdf-cache
pdf-info tq pdf-util pdf-macs image-mode exif recentf tree-widget
exec-path-from-shell doom-themes-ext-org doom-themes-ext-visual-bell
face-remap cl-extra help-mode company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags etags fileloop xref project company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-clang
company-capf company-cmake company-semantic company-template
company-bbdb doom-solarized-light-theme doom-themes doom-themes-base
delsel winner paren org-roam-migrate org-roam-mode org-roam-capture
org-roam-node org-roam-db org-roam-utils org-roam-compat org-roam
org-capture org-element avl-tree generator org-id org-refile org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list
org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
emacsql-sqlite url-http url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap advice emacsql emacsql-compiler magit-section rx f dash
s ns-auto-titlebar ido-completing-read+ memoize cus-edit wid-edit
minibuf-eldef ido company edmacro kmacro pcase elec-pair cua-base
cus-start cus-load finder-inf info package easymenu browse-url
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 415683 26926)
 (symbols 48 29562 2)
 (strings 32 125515 3321)
 (string-bytes 1 3620467)
 (vectors 16 43369)
 (vector-slots 8 768323 28868)
 (floats 8 384 234)
 (intervals 56 331 0)
 (buffers 1000 16))