Subject: bug#50951: 28.0.50; Urdu text is not displayed correctly

From: Rah Guzar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 13:57:24 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've only lightly skimmed this thread, but it seems like at least some
> of the problems were solved.  Is there anything more to do here on the
> Emacs side?

Hi Lars and Eli,
   I am on emacs 28 so this might not be accurate for the development
   version of emacs. Right now urdu text renders fine for me using the
   default font which for me is,

   -AXIS-Zohra Unicode-normal-normal-normal-*-32-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1

   So that aspect has improved.

   However if I change my font to Noto Nastaliq by evaluating,

   (set-fontset-font t 'arabic (font-spec :family "NotoNastaliqUrdu"))

   rendering is still bad. There are nastaliq fonts
   (very big ones) that render fine. My experience is that if font size
   is around 10 megabytes it renders fine, if the size is less than that
   it has problems (on my system Noto Nastaliq is 1.1M).

   As in the thread this is specific to emacs and not a problem with
   harfbuzz generally.

   So situation is acceptable but needs workarounds to get a good
   experience.

Rahguzar