Subject: bug#50946: Emacs-28: Inadequate coding in hack-elisp-shorthands

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 15:52:29 +0300

> Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 12:38:58 +0000
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> 
> I think that with hack-elisp-shorthands having been coded without
> attention to detail, there is a good chance the rest of this feature is
> similarly lacking in attention to detail, which is why I asked for an
> independent person to check.  Eli seems to think this isn't a problem.

If you want me to take your critique seriously, please be specific:
what are the aspects of that function that you think lack attention to
detail, and what detail?  We _are_ having a technical discussion of a
Lisp program, and quite a short one at that, right?  If so, it
shouldn't be hard for you to provide the details of what worries you
there.  And while at that, please try to distinguish between general
problems of hack-local-variables--find-variables, which affect all of
Emacs, and hack-elisp-shorthands, which is specific to this feature.

> You haven't fixed this bug.  When you first closed it this afternoon, I
> assumed you did so by accident, since the [email-masked] was on
> the Cc:.  Your recent closing of this unfixed bug was clearly
> deliberate.

Which bug (or bugs) is that?

> I'm not going to get into a childish game with you, opening and closing
> this bug repeatedly.  Instead, I invite you to calm down, think it over
> over the next few days, and consider whether such unfixed bugs are
> really the right thing for Emacs.

I don't think you are calm enough, either.  So the invitation to calm
down goes both ways here.  Please focus on technical issues and leave
ad-hominem out of this, okay?