Subject: bug#50946: Emacs-28: Inadequate coding in hack-elisp-shorthands

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 12:38:58 +0000

Hello, João.

On Sat, Oct 02, 2021 at 12:38:52 +0100, João Távora wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> > clumsy messing around with temporary buffers, file-attributes, and

I stand by that description.  It was accurate.

> Also, if you want to converse, be polite.  Your petty posturing doesn't
> intimidate me.  So go insult someone else.

I respectfully request you to deal with the issues I have raised.  If
you want to direct disrespect at me, private email would probably be a
better place.

To be perfectly honest, I was shocked when I saw the state of the coding
in that defun.  I have not said on this list what I really think about
it, and will not do so.  I can only hope that you just threw something
together as a proof of concept, and then forgot to change it into
acceptable code before committing it.  Or something like that.  If so,
an apology would be appropriate.

You closed this bug without fixing it.  There are corner cases the "fix"
doesn't handle, which I pointed out earlier and you ignored.  You closed
the bug without even having the decency to ask me to check the patch
first.  That is not polite, and not the normal way things are done,
here.

I think that with hack-elisp-shorthands having been coded without
attention to detail, there is a good chance the rest of this feature is
similarly lacking in attention to detail, which is why I asked for an
independent person to check.  Eli seems to think this isn't a problem.

You haven't fixed this bug.  When you first closed it this afternoon, I
assumed you did so by accident, since the [email-masked] was on
the Cc:.  Your recent closing of this unfixed bug was clearly
deliberate.

I'm not going to get into a childish game with you, opening and closing
this bug repeatedly.  Instead, I invite you to calm down, think it over
over the next few days, and consider whether such unfixed bugs are
really the right thing for Emacs.

> João

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).