Subject: bug#50940: how df utility displays sizes - GB vs GiB

From: Danie de Jager <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 21:38:52 +0200

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your consideration. I understand your concern about causing
confusion with set aliases. In that case I agree, create a new option
instead.

Regards,
Danie

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 at 23:01, Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 10/1/21 1:30 PM, Danie de Jager wrote:
> > Can we use the same options, but to trigger the longer annotation, we
> > double the characters used to -hh and -HH?
>
> Interesting idea. Normally, later options override earlier, so 'df -h
> -H' is equivalent to 'df -H'. This is so that one can alias 'df' to 'df
> -h' and then type plain 'df' to get the same behavior as 'df -h', while
> being able to type 'df -H' to get the other behavior. With that in mind
> if we made the change you suggest, such an alias would mean that if you
> typed 'df' you would get the behavior of ordinary 'df -h' while if you
> typed 'df -h' you'd get the behavior of ordinary 'df -hh'. So there
> might be an opportunity for confusion there.
>
> We could of course use a different option letter (unfortunately -B is
> already taken...).
>