Subject: Re: bug#50935: minibuffer-electric-default-mode interface

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 01:14:59 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> > In (info "(emacs) Basic Minibuffer"), I see:
> >
> > if you change the variable ‘minibuffer-eldef-shorten-default’ to a
> > non-‘nil’ value, the default argument is displayed as ‘[DEFAULT-ARG]’
> > instead of ‘(default DEFAULT-ARG)’, saving some screen space.  To
> > enable this minor mode, type ‘M-x minibuffer-electric-default-mode’.
>
> While I don't know how to fix this issue, I have to note that
> this Info node should also mention that minibuffer-electric-default-mode
> is now obsoleted by the new user option minibuffer-default-prompt-format.

Hmm, shouldn't the info node then just mention
'minibuffer-default-prompt-format' instead, and only that?  I don't
think we mention obsolete things if we can avoid it, do we?

Also, should 'minibuffer-electric-default-mode' be declared obsolete,
or is it too early for that?

> The only problem is that currently not all prompts use 'format-prompt'.
> Maybe this should be added to etc/TODO?

It can't hurt.