Subject: Re: bug#50934: 28.0.60; paren.el should be preloaded

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 11:13:45 +0300

> From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 13:35:57 +0000
> 
> > The native-compilation build is already painfully slow, and most of it
> > isn't spent in COMPILE_FIRST.  We could, of course, add those files to
> > shortlisp instead, if you think this is better.
> 
> I suspect shortlisp might be a better option (the number of threads of
> the machine here comes into play as well), but I guess a measure is the
> only way to get an answer.  IOW just wanted to raise the warning.

I tried to add these to shortlisp, after the value is exported as
$LISP_PRELOADED, but that didn't work: the added files were only
byte-compiled, not ELC+ELN-compiled.  I cannot figure out why this
happens.  I think this mystery should be resolved, so we would know
how to add files to AOT native compilation without adding them to
COMPILE_FIRST and without putting them into preloaded/.  I also cannot
figure out how come some files not mentioned in shortlisp end up being
ELC+ELN-compiled (for example emoji-zwj.el), also something that's
worth understanding.

For now, I just added those files to COMPILE_FIRST.

Thanks.