Subject: Re: bug#50934: 28.0.60; paren.el should be preloaded

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 13:11:33 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 13:49:31 +0300
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> Since show-paren-mode is now ON by default, whenever Emacs starts it
>> now loads paren.elc? during startup.  So I think we should now preload
>> paren.el.
>
> One consequence of paren.el's not being preloaded is that in a
> native-compilation build, Emacs begins compiling paren.el as soon as
> it starts, and that causes it also to compile about a dozen other
> files that comp.el requires.  Should we perhaps native-compile all the
> prerequisites of comp.el as part of COMPILE_FIRST when we build Emacs?

I think we should keep an eye on the build time impact of this.  If I'm
not mistaken native compiling COMPILE_FIRST targets is slower than
afterward cause comp.el and friends are running interpreted.

  Andrea