Subject: guix pull bug

From: Mortimer Cladwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 08:00:19 -0400

This is on a fresh Debian 10 instance on Amazon web services. Update Debian:

sudo DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get --assume-yes update
sudo DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get  --assume-yes install gnupg git
nscd postgresql-client
wget 'https://sv.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=15145' -qO - | sudo -i
gpg --import -
wget 'https://sv.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=127547' -qO - | sudo -i
gpg --import -

 sudo ./guix-install-mod.sh  <==== modified guix install script; modified
for non-interactive use

## using guile-3.0.2
guix install glibc-utf8-locales
sudo guix install glibc-utf8-locales

##with only 2 programs in profile:

admin@ip-172-31-20-138:~$ guix package --list-installed
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales'
package and defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix install glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

glibc-utf8-locales 2.31 out
/gnu/store/rgydar9dfvflqqz2irgh7njj34amaxc6-glibc-utf8-locales-2.31
artanis 0.4.1 out /gnu/store/np3v3bifspgqslc7xl2rz2sg08q2wvzq-artanis-0.4.1

===================================================================================================

admin@ip-172-31-20-138:~$ guix pull
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales'
package and defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix install glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at '
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Authenticating channel 'guix', commits 9edb3f6 to 7b59508 (6,374 new
commits)...
Building from this channel:
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git 7b59508
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
 config.scm  501B
                                        29KiB/s 00:00 [##################]
100.0%
 git.scm  101B
                                         68KiB/s 00:00 [##################]
100.0%
 hash.scm  132B
                                        90KiB/s 00:00 [##################]
100.0%
 module-import  2KiB
                                        191KiB/s 00:00 [##################]
100.0%
 module-import  2KiB
                                        354KiB/s 00:00 [##################]
100.0%
 module-import-compiled  1.5MiB
                                       1.5MiB/s 00:01 [##################]
100.0%
 module-import-compiled  1.5MiB
                                       2.2MiB/s 00:01 [##################]
100.0%
building
/gnu/store/a6678c6wksl1pf8vch9sqfp6nzh1bvjc-compute-guix-derivation.drv...
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
 gnutls-3.6.16-doc  1.0MiB
                                        2.0MiB/s 00:01 [##################]
100.0%
 gnutls-3.6.16  1.7MiB
                                        2.8MiB/s 00:01 [##################]
100.0%
 libx11-1.7.1A  693KiB
                                       1.02GiB/s 00:00 [##################]
100.0%
 gnutls-3.6.16-debug  2.3MiB
                                        7.3MiB/s 00:00 [##################]
100.0%
 libx11-1.7.1A-doc  1.2MiB
                                        1.4MiB/s 00:01 [##################]
100.-Backtrace:
          14 (primitive-load
"/gnu/store/d8l53x32a5plllhrykgc1sqa45h10idv-compute-guix-derivation")
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    155:9 13 (_ _)
    159:9 12 (_ #(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#<directory (guile-u?> ?)
?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?))
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
    152:2 11 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
    152:2 10 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
In ./guix/store.scm:
  2113:24  9 (run-with-store #<store-connection 256.99 7f73ab62c280> _
#:guile-for-build _ #:system _ #:target _)
   1950:8  8 (_ _)
In ./guix/gexp.scm:
   275:18  7 (_ _)
   1156:2  6 (_ _)
   1022:2  5 (_ _)
    868:4  4 (_ _)
In ./guix/store.scm:
  1998:12  3 (_ #<store-connection 256.99 7f73ab62c280>)
  1400:13  2 (map/accumulate-builds #<store-connection 256.99 7f73ab62c280>
#<procedure 7f73a9fc15d0 at ./guix/stor?> ?)
   1396:5  1 (map/accumulate-builds #<store-connection 256.99 7f73ab62c280>
#<procedure 7f73a3fcd000 at ./guix/stor?> ?)
  1411:15  0 (_ #<store-connection 256.99 7f73ab62c280> _ _)

./guix/store.scm:1411:15: ERROR:
  1. &store-protocol-error:
      message: "unable to fork: Cannot allocate memory"
      status: 1
guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program
'/gnu/store/d8l53x32a5plllhrykgc1sqa45h10idv-compute-guix-derivation'
failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version:
"7b59508ca711d1fe299de3f8d9710da36aeb6829"; system: "x86_64-linux";
host version: "1.3.0"; pull-version: 1).
Please report it by email to <[email-masked]>.