Subject: Re: bug#50904: TODO: Deprecate and remove XPM icons (replacing them with PPM)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 08:55:39 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> In etc/TODO we have the following item:
>
>     ** Deprecate and remove XPM icons
>     Convert the XPM bitmaps to PPM, replace the PBMs with them and scrap
>     the XPMs so that the color versions work generally.  (Requires care
>     with the color used for the transparent regions.)

There doesn't seem to be any bug reports about XPM colours not working
correctly -- what are the symptoms?

XPMs are attractive in that they allow addressing colours by name, and
you can therefore alter them on-the-fly without editing the images.
(See `gnus-logo-color-alist' for something that exploits this.)  You can
do the same with SVG images, but then you need SVG support.  And you
can't do this with PPMs, I think.

So I'm not sure I agree with that TODO item, unless I'm missing
something (which I may well be).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no