Subject: Re: bug#50900: 27.2; Evaluating open-line with a negative argument changes the behavior of self-insert

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 21:11:35 +0200

Rodrigo Morales <[email-masked]> writes:

> In order to reproduce this bug, I deleted my ~/.config/emacs/init.el
> file and made sure that no other Emacs configuration file existed in
> $HOME.

That shouldn't be necessary -- "emacs -Q" will start an Emacs without
any local customisations.

> Steps to reproduce this bug:
>
> 1. Evaluate (open-line -1)
> 2. Insert text in any buffer

I'm unable to reproduce the problem in Emacs 27.2 (or 28).  I said:

emacs -Q
M-: (open-line -1)

And then I just get this backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Negative repetition argument -1")
  self-insert-command(-1)
  newline(-1)
  open-line(-1)
  eval((open-line -1) t)
  eval-expression((open-line -1) nil nil 127)
  funcall-interactively(eval-expression (open-line -1) nil nil 127)
  call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-expression)

> You will see that whenever a character is inserted, the point is moved
> to the beginning of the line.

I don't see that, either.  What does `C-h f open-line RET' say for you?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no