Subject: Re: 27.2; Evaluating open-line with a negative argument changes the behavior of self-insert

From: Rodrigo Morales <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 15:22:13 -0500

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my previous message.

Before you evaluate the expression, you have to be in a buffer with no
read-only-mode. This means that if you tried to reproduce the issue in
the "*GNU Emacs*" buffer, you didn't fully reproduce the bug. For
some reason, the bug doesn't happen when the expression is evaluated
in a buffer with read-only-mode.

Here are more clearer steps:

1. Execute "emacs -Q"
2. Evaluate (open-line -1) in the "*scratch*" buffer.
3. Move your cursor to the "*scratch*" buffer.
4. Insert any text
5. (At this point, whenever you insert a character, the cursor is
   moved to the beginning of the line which makes it seem that you are
   typing from left to right.)

I was able to reproduce this issue in emacs 27.2 (in two systems) and
emacs 26.2 (in one system).

On Wed, 29 Sept 2021 at 14:07, Rodrigo Morales <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>
> In order to reproduce this bug, I deleted my ~/.config/emacs/init.el
> file and made sure that no other Emacs configuration file existed in
> $HOME.
>
> Steps to reproduce this bug:
>
> 1. Evaluate (open-line -1)
> 2. Insert text in any buffer
>
> You will see that whenever a character is inserted, the point is moved
> to the beginning of the line.
>