Subject: Octave package installation

From: Zacchaeus Scheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 14:06:02 -0400

Hi Guix!

After installing octave, I tried to install the image package in octave in
two ways.  One by running:
> pkg install image-<version#>.tar.gz
where image-<version#>.tar.gz is in my cwd.  I also tried installing with:
> pkg install -forge image
In both cases, I had the same problem.  The first error I was getting was:
>configure: error: in `/tmp/oct-6RV451/image-2.12.0/src':
>configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables

This error can be fixed by installing gcc-toolchain.  After doing so,
attempting to install image gives:
>ld: cannot find -loctinterp
>ld: cannot find -loctave
repeatedly (full output below).  These libraries seem like they should be
included in the octave installation, and also like they should be absolute
paths.  I looked for any instance of octinterp in filenames and found these
in the octave install:
./include/octave-6.2.0/octave/liboctinterp-build-info.h
./lib/octave/6.2.0/liboctinterp.la
./lib/octave/6.2.0/liboctinterp.so.8.0.1
./lib/octave/6.2.0/liboctinterp.so
./lib/octave/6.2.0/liboctinterp.so.8
./lib/pkgconfig/octinterp.pc
I tried installing image with these in my cwd, but no dice.  Even if these
are the correct library files, octave is installing this in my user
directory so the cwd won't be the same.

I need this to work for a class, so I'm willing to put in some hours (days)
to make this work, but I'm pretty lost if anyone has ideas on where to go
next.

Thanks,
Zacchae