Subject: bug#50895: 28.0.50; show-paren-mode is distracting in some modes

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 08:45:48 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Unlike font-lock-global-mode, it seems in this case the code will be
> checking show-paren-global-modes at runtime (inside
> show-paren-function, I guess).

Looking at show-paren-mode again -- I thought we'd agreed to make it a
globalized minor mode instead of a global minor mode?  I.e., define it
with `define-globalized-minor-mode'.  Did that prove to be difficult to
do (i.e., not backwards-compatible)?

If we do that, then we'd define it exactly like global-font-lock-mode is
defined (with the turn-on-paren-mode-if-desired logic).

> The new var, if we add it now, should probably be just t by default.
>
> To avoid changing the behavior for those who customized
> show-paren-mode for many years, and yet allow an easy customization
> point for others who can by annoyed with the change.

I don't see why the default value of a new `paren-mode-global-modes'
variable would affect people who are saying (show-paren-mode 1) in their
init files?  It should only affect those who haven't made any such
customisation already.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no