Subject: Re: bug#50895: 28.0.50; show-paren-mode is distracting in some modes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 21:40:47 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 20:31:50 +0200
> 
> Sure, I'm not arguing for changing anything this second.  I opened this
> bug report to see if anybody had any input into what options we had if
> we wanted to tweak the behaviour, and Jim Porter's suggestion seems
> promising to me.

It's okay to discuss this, but I implore us not to make any further
changes just yet, except to fix clear bugs.

> It seems like if we implement something like that, then people who have
> (show-paren-mode 1) in their .emacs files already won't be affected at
> all

Those people are not interesting for this discussion.  We changed the
default not for them.

> and people who don't have it will have it switched on in
> editing-related modes, which is what was discussed on emacs-devel (and
> was (I think) the only thing that was discussed there).

I see no reason to turn it on/off partially at this time.  The
decision, based on a poll, was to turn it on globally.  I don't see
any serious reasons yet to back off, not even partially.

> > It is this third category that is the main audience of such changes.
> > Let's not decide for them what are the implications, let them try the
> > new default and tell us about the implications they saw, from their
> > POV.
> 
> That's what's happening -- both Juri and I saw the changes in a help
> buffer and didn't like it, so we piped up.

And your feedback is noted.  But we shouldn't act on it, not just yet.
For now, if you don't like it, just turn it off, it's very simple.