Subject: bug#50895: 28.0.50; show-paren-mode is distracting in some modes

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 20:31:50 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'm not sure anybody even thought about the implications this would have
>> for buffers that are used for display -- I certainly didn't.
>
> But it takes time to collect the implications and to see whether they
> are real problems or just personal preferences of the "it annoys me"
> kind.  Once again, I'm using this as a global setting for eons, and
> didn't see any implications that bothered me.  So the implications we
> hear now are not necessarily clear-cut and objective.

Sure, I'm not arguing for changing anything this second.  I opened this
bug report to see if anybody had any input into what options we had if
we wanted to tweak the behaviour, and Jim Porter's suggestion seems
promising to me.

It seems like if we implement something like that, then people who have
(show-paren-mode 1) in their .emacs files already won't be affected at
all, and people who don't have it will have it switched on in
editing-related modes, which is what was discussed on emacs-devel (and
was (I think) the only thing that was discussed there).

> It is this third category that is the main audience of such changes.
> Let's not decide for them what are the implications, let them try the
> new default and tell us about the implications they saw, from their
> POV.

That's what's happening -- both Juri and I saw the changes in a help
buffer and didn't like it, so we piped up.

The system is working as intended.  :-)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no