Subject: bug#50895: 28.0.50; show-paren-mode is distracting in some modes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 21:25:50 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 20:03:43 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > We don't know what "most people" will want, except what we heard
> > during the poll.  And no one said anything like that there.
> 
> I'm not sure anybody even thought about the implications this would have
> for buffers that are used for display -- I certainly didn't.

But it takes time to collect the implications and to see whether they
are real problems or just personal preferences of the "it annoys me"
kind.  Once again, I'm using this as a global setting for eons, and
didn't see any implications that bothered me.  So the implications we
hear now are not necessarily clear-cut and objective.

We have deliberately and consciously changed the default.  This is
what changing the defaults look like: people who already liked it can
now get rid of their customizations, those who don't like it get to
add customizations, and those who never knew it existed get to try it
and decide whether they like it or not.  It is this third category
that is the main audience of such changes.  Let's not decide for them
what are the implications, let them try the new default and tell us
about the implications they saw, from their POV.

I think we should only consider clear bugs in this setting, at least
until Emacs 28.1 is released.  Disabling it sooner, even partially,
based on "annoys me" reports makes no sense to me.