Subject: bug#50895: 28.0.50; show-paren-mode is distracting in some modes

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 19:25:39 +0200

I think defaulting show-paren-mode to "on" is a good change in general,
but it's distracting in some modes.  For instance, when presenting data
in a buffer, having point flash around when moving around in the buffer
is not what most people will want.

(Think Gnus buffers, *Help* buffers, etc.)

Some people have been using this mode for years, though, and are fine
with the cursor bopping around when trying to read data, so
force-disabling it in (say) `special-mode' isn't quite the answer,
either.

Does anybody see a way to enable it by default in non-special buffers
only, but not explicitly switching it off in special-mode buffers for
those that want it?

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 23, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-09-26 built on elva
Repository revision: 43ae8c828d853382bbc2a27b9e14b9fff6ba18b6
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no