Subject: bug#50881: C-h C-s leads to empty " *Metahelp*" buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 20:53:21 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 19:58:08 +0300
> 
> >> 'show-paren-mode' should be disabled in all read-only buffers.
> >
> > If the problem is with *Help* and other documentation buffers, why
> > turn it off in _all_ read-only buffers?  The latter is a much broader
> > category.  For example, debugging Lisp with Edebug makes the source
> > buffer read-only.
> 
> Maybe with Edebug it makes sense, I don't know because I immediately
> disabled it globally, and noticed the problem only while trying
> to reproduce the reported bug with 'emacs -Q'.

That's the problem with thinking your personal preferences are
definitely good for everyone else.  They aren't.

Please, people, just this once, let it go.  We just flipped this
setting on; please let the dust settle at least for a while before you
come up with reasons why it should be turned back off.  It's very easy
to turn it off in your customizations, so if you cannot tolerate it,
just turn it off and move on.  Let's limit any changes related to
show-paren-mode to fixing bugs, like that recursive-load problem
someone just reported.  Everything else let's please filter out.