Subject: bug#50867: 27.2; window-toggle-side-windows adds an extra window

From: Indrajeet Khandekar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 16:55:49 +0530

1. start a vanila emacs session
2. using scratch buffer, use follow display buffer alist configuration

(setq display-buffer-alist
          '(("\\*\\(Async Shell Command\\|Shell Command Output\\)\\*"
         (display-buffer-reuse-window display-buffer-in-side-window)
         (window-width . 0.40)
         (side . right)
         (slot . 0))))

3. split the window horizontally using `C-x 3`
4. run `M-x async-shell-command ls RET`
5. run `M-x window-toggle-side-windows`
6. run `M-x window-toggle-side-windows`

You will see that there is an extra, window added, to the frame.

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS appkit-1671.60 Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G95))
of 2021-03-28 built on builder10-14.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.6

Recent messages:
(No changes need to be saved)
Mark set
Quit
Mark set
Scanning for dabbrevs...done
user-error: No dynamic expansion for ‘window-toggle-side-windows`’ found
Mark set
(("\\*\\(Async Shell Command\\|Shell Command Output\\)\\*" (display-buffer-reuse-window display-buffer-in-side-window) (window-width . 0.4) (side . right) (slot . 0)))
You can run the command ‘async-shell-command’ with M-&
ls: finished.

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES
THREADS JSON PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-page-break-lines-mode: t
  page-break-lines-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/indrajeet.khandekar/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-3.2.1/magit-section-pkg hides /Users/indrajeet.khandekar/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-section-3.2.1/magit-section-pkg

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail dabbrev gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig sh-script smie executable
org-archive ediff-ptch diff-mode ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-diff
ediff-util ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-init bookmark pp tabify
org-capture rx org-duration tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-iso
org-element avl-tree ol-eww eww mm-url url-queue ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc
ol-info ol-gnus nnir gnus-sum shr svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo
parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif dired
dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m face-remap org-agenda
org-refile disp-table tsdh-light-theme company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang
company-semantic company-eclim company-template company-bbdb company
pcase helpful imenu trace edebug backtrace info-look f dash-functional
help-fns radix-tree elisp-refs s loop evil evil-keybindings
evil-integration undo-tree diff evil-maps evil-commands reveal flyspell
ispell evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types evil-search evil-ex
shell evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core evil-common windmove
rect evil-digraphs evil-vars go-mode find-file ffap thingatpt etags
fileloop generator xref project compile ivy delsel ivy-faces ivy-overlay
colir color restart-emacs which-key org-jira org-jira-sdk jiralib
request autorevert filenotify mail-utils soap-client mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode url-http url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny warnings rng-xsd rng-dt
rng-util xsd-regexp xml dash ls-lisp org-clock org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color org-list org-faces
org-entities time-date noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
advice find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs diminish
page-break-lines hackernews url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
format-spec cus-edit cus-start cus-load use-package use-package-delight
use-package-diminish edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode recentf tree-widget wid-edit modus-themes hydra ring lv
cl-extra help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core finder-inf info
package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 603783 58939)
(symbols 48 41058 1)
(strings 32 154720 6728)
(string-bytes 1 4854491)
(vectors 16 64354)
(vector-slots 8 1113676 73410)
(floats 8 594 916)
(intervals 56 6181 3118)
(buffers 1000 42))