Subject: Re: bug#50814: [PATCH] guix: git-authenticate: Also authenticate the channel intro commit.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 11:39:48 +0200

Hi,

Attila Lendvai <[email-masked]> skribis:

> there are three main topics of this patchset:
>
> 1) adding a (hopefully helpful) warning. the primary goal.
> 2) general cleanups
> 3) IIRC, fixing some actual bugs in the process

Alright.  Please next time open one issue per topic: that’s a good way
to maximize the chances that review happens in a timely fashion.  :-)

> as for 1):
>
> what i did was fork guix master, and now i'm pulling my own
> authenticated branch from my own local git checkout, where every once
> in a while i merge my various topic branches into my branch, and guix
> pull it.
>
> when i added my second commit i have spent a disproportionate amount
> of time trying to figure out what was happening: the first commit was
> accepted, and i thought it's set up all fine. then who knows how much
> later, when i added my second commit, i was staring at the screen
> without a clue why pulling doesn't work anymore.
>
> then i ventured into quickly adding warning, so that others won't
> waste their time on this, and went down the rabbit hole, which
> resulted in fixing actual bugs, i believe. IIRC, they are exposed by
> the test that i have added when run on the current codebase.

I understand the behavior was surprising to you, but I’d like to see if
we can pinpoint why.  Can you think of anything that could be added to
the documentation?

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Specifying-Channel-Authorizations.html

> as for 3), any actual bugs:
>
> i'll investigate again later by running the test without the fix, and write
> up my results here, or better yet, in a better commit message.

Yes please.  In general, please start by reporting the bug: what you
get, what you expected, and how to reproduce.  That makes it easier to
understand and evaluate proposed fixes.

Thanks!

Ludo’.