Subject: Re: bug#5080: indic text is not displayed correctly in emacs shell

From: Praveen A <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:27:45 +0530

2009/12/7 Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>:
> Please give me the actual character sequence too.
>
This sample text is taken from first paragraph of
http://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/താരാപഥം
>>> ml=u'നക്ഷത്രങ്ങളും നക്ഷത്രാവശിഷ്ടങ്ങളും'
>>> print repr(ml)
u'\u0d28\u0d15\u0d4d\u0d37\u0d24\u0d4d\u0d30\u0d19\u0d4d\u0d19{\u0d33\u0d41\u0d02}
\u0d28\u0d15\u0d4d\u0d37\u0d24\u0d4d\u0d30\u0d3e\u0d35\u0d36\u0d3f{\u0d37\u0d4d\u0d1f}{\u0d19\u0d4d\u0d19}{\u0d33\u0d41\u0d02}'

problem sequence is marked inside {}

(1) \u0d33\u0d41\u0d02 before the first space is completely lost.
Actually the next character ie, \u0d28 takes the position of the
missing sequence.

First glyph of all words eclipses/overlaps with the last glyph of the
previous word. I think this is because 'space' character seems to be
rendered as having zero width.

(2) \u0d19\u0d4d\u0d19 is overlapped with the previous
(\u0d37\u0d4d\u0d1f) and next (\u0d33\u0d41\u0d02) glyphs in the word.

I think this two examples are representative of the issue, if you need
more example sequences with display problems, I can provide those.

Thanks
- Praveen
-- 
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
<GPLv2> I know my rights; I want my phone call!
<DRM> What use is a phone call, if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)
Join The DRM Elimination Crew Now!
http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-DRM-Campaign