Subject: bug#50786: closed (Re: bug#50786: Missing info??)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 23:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#50786: Missing info??

which was filed against the parted package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
50786: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=50786
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#50786: Missing info??
From: "Brian C. Lane" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 16:23:43 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

You don't mention what version and distribution you are using. Upstream
parted does have -l in the manpage so I'd file a bug with the
distribution.

parted now (or will, depending on whether your distribution includes
patches from master) has a --fix option for your exact problem. When
used along with --script it will automatically fix the size of the disk
and write the backup partition table.

Brian

-- 
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart

Subject: Missing info??
From: "Michael D. Setzer II" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 22:11:17 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've been working to create an iso image that includes 
both regular usb boot, and UEFI usb boot.
Process works fine. Create a 64M file, and create 
everything to the iso image.
When image is copied to a flash thou, it has an issue since 
the flash is much larger than the 64M.

Both gparted and parted -l will prompt to fix the error 
and do so nicely. 

With parted the -l option does the fix, but it runs on all 
devices in machine, not just the single flash??

Running parted -l shows info on all devices, and then 
prompts to repair.
Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/sdb 
appears to be used, you can fix the GPT to use all of the 
space (an extra 15499264 blocks) or continue with the 
current setting? 
Fix/Ignore? Fix                                                           
Model: SanDisk Cruzer Blade (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 8003MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  67.1MB  66.0MB  fat16        G4L   boot, esp

Have automated the fix with.
	echo -e "Fix" | sudo parted -l ---pretend-input-tty

Was looking at page on parted, and it doesn't list the -l 
option at all, and don't see the --pretend-input-tty either??

Would like to have the parted -l only run against the flash 
device rather than all devices, but doesn't seem to work 
by adding the device to line..

Not a big deal, but thought I would mention it.

The parted --help does list options.
OPTIONs:
  -h, --help                      displays this help message
  -l, --list                      lists partition layout on all block 
devices
  -m, --machine                   displays machine parseable 
output
  -s, --script                    never prompts for user 
intervention
  -v, --version                   displays the version
  -a, --align=[none|cyl|min|opt]  alignment for new 
partitions

Thanks.