Subject: Reply to reply... Clearing up things.

From: "Michael D. Setzer II" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 12:28:21 +1000

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The distro I am using does shows 
the -l option

The GNU page that I was looking at does not include it.
https://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html

2.3 Command Line Options

When invoked from the command line, Parted supports 
the following syntax:

# parted [option] device [command [argument]]

Available options and commands follow. For detailed 
explanations of the use of Parted commands, see 
Command explanations. Options begin with a hyphen, 
commands do not:

Options:

‘-h’
‘--help’

    display a help message
‘-s’
‘--script’

    never prompt the user
‘-a alignment-type’
‘--align alignment-type’

    Set alignment for newly created partitions, valid 
alignment types are: none, cylinder, minimal and optimal.
‘-v’
‘--version’

    display the version 

While the Fedora 33 distro shows.
OPTIONS
       -h, --help
              displays a help message

       -l, --list
              lists partition layout on all block devices

       -m, --machine
              displays machine parseable output

       -s, --script
              never prompts for user intervention

       -v, --version
              displays the version

       -a alignment-type, --align alignment-type
              Set alignment for newly created partitions, valid 
alignment types are:

              none   Use the minimum alignment allowed by 
the disk type.

              cylinder
                     Align partitions to cylinders.

              minimal
                     Use minimum alignment as given by the disk 
topology information. This and the opt value will use
                     layout information provided by the disk to 
align the logical partition table addresses to actual
                     physical blocks on the disks.  The min value 
is the minimum alignment needed to align the parti‐
                     tion properly to physical blocks, which 
avoids performance degradation.

              optimal
                     Use  optimum  alignment  as given by the 
disk topology information. This aligns to a multiple of
                     the physical block size in a way that 
guarantees optimal performance.

Neither have anything about ---pretend-input-tty option.

The line I am currently using to do the fixing is:
	echo -e "Fix" | parted -l --pretend-input-tty

It does fix the issue, put the time command in front of it, 
and it reports
real	0m17.244s
user	0m0.015s
sys	0m0.025s

If I run parted -l a second time right after it shows.
real	0m0.211s
user	0m0.014s
sys	0m0.018s

So, not clear if the 17 seconds is to doing the repair on 
flash, or if the info from first run was used to speed up 
second run??
data on program with Fedora 33 is:
90888 Jul 29  2020 /usr/sbin/parted

The man at end shows 2007 March 29??
parted --help doesn't seem to show any date info.
OPTIONs:
  -h, --help                      displays this help message
  -l, --list                      lists partition layout on all block 
devices
  -m, --machine                   displays machine parseable 
output
  -s, --script                    never prompts for user 
intervention
  -v, --version                   displays the version
  -a, --align=[none|cyl|min|opt]  alignment for new 
partitions

That has the -l option, but it says it lists all block devices, 
so doesn't show that there might be a way to do just one.

Tried piping the Fix , but without the --pretend-input-tty it 
seemed to be ignored??

Thanks again. Will see if parted is updated over time.