Subject: Re: bug#50785: 28.0.50; error doesn't use help-key-binding face from substitute-command-keys

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 04:03:36 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> In "emacs -Q", if I use the following function:
>
> (defun foo ()
>   (interactive)
>   (error (substitute-command-keys "Use \\[next-line]")))
>
> The error message says "Use C-n", but "C-n" is not displayed with the
> `help-key-binding' face.

Hm...  is `error' stripping text properties before displaying, by any
chance?  If so, is there any particular reason why that would make sense
in general?  Hm...  perhaps the idea is that `error' is used in
low-level circumstances, so we don't want to rely on faces etc actually
working?

Anybody know?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no