Subject: Re: [bug#50778] [PATCH] m4: Don't require courage on unsupported systems.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:43:54 +0200

Hello!

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 11:00:16AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> Yes, I’d rather mark i586-gnu as supported in m4/guix.m4 (it should have
>> been the case long ago) and keep the error and ‘--with-courage’ flag.
>> 
>> WDYT?
>
> I'm OK with changing i586-gnu to supported in m4/guix.m4. However, part
> of the plan was to make it so that we didn't have to have the
> --with-courage flag when building for mips64el, and so we could remove
> powerpc-linux so it would also say that it is unsupported but we
> wouldn't need people to make special versions of the guix package so
> they can try to build it. I can make it bigger and flashier, so it looks
> more like

Ah!  So I think you’re asking that there be three levels:

  1. Fully supported (should include i586-gnu).

  2. “Half supported” or “in the works”, like mips64el-linux and
     powerpc-linux: in that case, maybe just emit a warning with
     AC_MSG_WARN?

  3. Unsupported: error asking users to pass ‘--with-courage’.

How does that sound?

Ludo’.