Subject: Re: bug#50768: [PATCH] installer: Reorder file system type listbox.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 20:41:53 +0200

Ludo',

Ludovic Courtès 写道：
> I’ve seen Keyras mention such a problem here, but again, I have 
> not seen
> “regular bug reports”.

I've seen enough.  s/bug reports/worried questions, not always 
prior to messing with file system options/ for accuracy.

> Are there open bug reports about ext4 issues?
  
As in issues: no idea.  I would expect them to be closed, so it's 
not much of a metric.

> What I do regularly see is rants about ext4 :-), which might be
> justified, but in my many years with a store I have never had 
> problems
> with ext4.  Also, the deduplication code gracefully handles 
> ENOSPC on
> /gnu/store/.links.

The kernel doesn't discriminate and logs warnings.  Several people 
do notice these, don't realise that they are ‘harmless’, and 
follow some on-line tutorial to enable large_dir.  Which 
apparently breaks GRUB.

None of this is Guix's fault.  It does happen.

I'm not happy with this patch: it's the tiniest possible tweak and 
puts a lot of implicit meaning into the default ordering.

I didn't find a good way to dynamically display a description of 
each file system, but I wouldn't know what kind of Newt UI 
primitives/concepts to search for.

Kind regards,

T G-R