Subject: [bug#50768] [PATCH] installer: Reorder file system type listbox.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 10:57:47 +0200

Hello,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Recommending ext4 over btrfs is probably ill-advised nowadays.  See the
> regular bug reports about running out of /gnu/store directory entries,
> for which the documented fix then breaks booting with GRUB.

I’ve seen Keyras mention such a problem here, but again, I have not seen
“regular bug reports”.  Are there open bug reports about ext4 issues?

What I do regularly see is rants about ext4 :-), which might be
justified, but in my many years with a store I have never had problems
with ext4.  Also, the deduplication code gracefully handles ENOSPC on
/gnu/store/.links.

> Instead, just list regular file systems alphabetically.  We can bikeshed
> bcachefs later ;-)
>
> Move second-class file systems like NTFS to their own section at the end
> of the list.
>
> * gnu/packages/package-management.scm (run-fs-type-page): Reorder the
> LISTBOX-ITEMS.

Otherwise LGTM, thanks!

Ludo’.