Subject: [bug#50753] Merging wip-guix-home to master

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 22:45:45 +0200

Hi,

Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I'm about a week on wip-guix-home branch completely and Guix Home works
> fine.  There are no any major issues on rde-devel and guix-devel mailing
> lists and it seems that branch is ready to be merged.

Yay!  I’d like to take another look (I know I’ve been terribly MIA,
apologies!), and I hope other folks familiar with Guix System can
comment as well.

> There is a discussion[fn:2] on moving home services to (gnu services
> ...)  modules, which is likely to happen, but it's possible to do the
> migration relatively painless by re-exporting necessary symbols in
> (gnu home-services ...) at first and removing them completely later.

I know it can be annoying to existing Guix Home users, but I’d prefer
not to carry pre-merge baggage; that is, we’d just rename and not
provide those modules under their former names at all.

> Another important part of the work related to Guix Home project is
> covering related modules and cli with tests, but it can be done in
> parallel and is not a blocker for merging.

Do you have ideas of a possible testing strategy?

We should be able to test at least the CLI, either arranging to avoid
large builds (as in tests/guix-build.sh) or talking to the “real”
guix-daemon (as in tests/guix-pack-relocatable.sh) if we’re going to
need packages.

It’d be great to have this part ready soonish.

The way I see it, in 1.4 (2.0?), we’d mark Guix Home as a “technology
preview” in the manual with a prominent note.  That will allow us to get
feedback from new users and to fine-tune code correspondingly, and
that’ll make it clear to users that things are still subject to change.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.