Subject: bug#50743: Emacsclient not tested vs. Local Variables prompt

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 10:51:52 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 11:59:42 +0200

> > IIUC this issue is about a frame displayed on top of the terminal
> > window.
> 
> Is it?  That's not my understanding.  My understanding is that this
> happens when the client frame already exists when emacsclient is
> invoked, so it's probably elsewhere.

It could be elsewhere, but in Dan's scenario, the terminal window and
Emacs frame are over each other.  And the exact behavior in that
situation varies depending on the window manager.

If I run the experiment in MATE, with Emacs behind mate-terminal, and
run "emacsclient /tmp/m" (from Phil's example) in mate-terminal, the
mate-terminal window stays on top and retains the input focus.

But if I repeat the experiment in KDE, with Emacs behind mate-terminal
(or Konsole), Emacs is brought to the top, hiding the terminal emulator,
even though the terminal emulator still has the input focus.  But even
that depends on what settings I have in KDE.  The behavior I just
described is with "focus stealing prevention" set to None.  If I set it
to Low, the terminal emulator window remains in top (and retains the
focus).

Still, if I have "focus stealing prevention" set to None, the Emacs
frame is raised in both the prompting case and the non-prompting case,
but the input focus is handled differently in the two cases.  Raising
the frame but not getting the input focus doesn't seem right to me.

mike