Subject: bug#50743: Emacsclient not tested vs. Local Variables prompt

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 13:34:11 +1300

On 2021-09-26 11:55, Mike Kupfer wrote:
> I don't use icewm, but I can reproduce the problem with MATE,
> using either the marco window manager or Openbox, on Debian 10.

Thanks for confirming Mike.

I can now reproduce this as well.  (In fact I'd failed to follow
the correct recipe previously, and was side-stepping the issue.)

The key appears to be whether or not we're using a pre-existing
client frame.  If a new frame is created, the problem does not
occur (for me).  If we're switching to a pre-existing frame, then
I can reproduce the problem.

Here's an alternative recipe:

emacs -Q --daemon=bug50743 # start a new server
emacsclient -sbug50743 -c & # create a GUI frame
emacsclient -sbug50743 <file>

If <file> contains file-local variables then the pre-existing
client frame does not get focus; but otherwise it does.

I tested with both:

M-x add-file-local-variable
M-x add-file-local-variable-prop-line

-Phil