Subject: Re: bug#50743: Emacsclient not tested vs. Local Variables prompt

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 17:07:10 +1200

On 2021-09-25 16:18, 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson wrote:
> Anyway, normally if we type abcefg... it goes right into the file, 
> where
> it belongs.
> 
> However if we boobytrap the file with  -*- foo: bar; -*-,
> now suddenly emacs is asking us questions, but our answers are hijacked
> elsewhere!

Are you saying that if you create a second file, /tmp/m2 which does
*not* have any file-local variables, and you go to your terminal and
run "emacsclient /tmp/m2" and type "y" that it inserts the character
"y" into the "m2" buffer; but if you run "emacsclient /tmp/m" which
has the file-local var and you type "y" it gets inserted into the
terminal window?  And you are doing everything else exactly the same
way, so that the sole difference between the two tests is that whether
or not the file has a file-local variable?

To me it still sounds like a matter of OS window focus, but I can't
fathom why those two tests would result in different windows being
focused by the window manager.

To be clear, I've already tried and failed to reproduce your problem,
so not everyone is seeing the same thing as yourself.  It would be
easier to understand what's happening if you could confirm whether of
not the Emacs window actually has focus (which is why I tried to get
that information via a more-detailed recipe a in an earlier message).

-Phil