Subject: Re: bug#50743: Emacsclient not tested vs. Local Variables prompt

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:32:07 +0300

* martin rudalics <[email-masked]> [2021-09-27 11:52]:
> >> If the Emacs frame is not on top of the terminal frame, my argument is
> >> obviously void.
> >
> > What if the Emacs frame is "near" the terminal frame?
> >
> > Or what do you mean by "on top of"?
> 
> By "on top of" I mean "substantially" obscuring the terminal frame which
> means that the current position of the terminal frame's cursor is not
> visible because the Emacs frame covers it.
> 
> It's obvious that Emacs cannot detect that situation by itself (I even
> doubt that it would be always possible for it to find out whether it
> partially obscures another frame).  Hence, if possible, we should
> probably try to not produce a situation where an Emacs frame is on top
> of another frame and does not have focus.  Whether this is always
> feasible with all window managers is something I cannot tell.

I have tested many Window Managers and I use either IceWM or EmacsWM,
now much IceWM. I can tell that my configuration is personal and that
window managers have much of the control.

If user has configured Window Manager for specific kind of focus than
Emacs should not interfere with the users' configurations. 

For this:

> if possible, we should > probably try to not produce a situation
> where an Emacs frame is on top of another frame and does not have
> focus."

I think you should leave to Window Manager's configuration however
user wants it.

Let me give you examples:

- sometimes, I do have a single window (tracking issues) on the top,
  and other windows appearing on the bottom, that is called in IceWM
  "Focus always on top", so whatever else appears it will appear under
  that window.

- all the time I use mouse based focus, the window under the mouse has
  focus, and nothing else;

- all the time I don't use window raising under the mouse, if window
  has the focus, I don't want raising it automatically; often I
  overlap windows and do something with it, while I write in the
  window below partially appearing under the window on top of it;

Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/