Subject: Re: bug#50743: Emacsclient not tested vs. Local Variables prompt

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 07:48:23 +0300

> From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>         [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 15:08:03 -0700
> 
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > Like I said: an obscure use case with weird window arrangement. 
> 
> Perhaps for a desktop system with a decent size display.  I don't find
> it all that obscure for a small laptop.  I think the only reason I've
> never seen this issue before is because I typically use "emacsclient
> -c".
> 
> But if fixing Dan's scenario is likely to introduce a regression for
> some other scenario, well, I understand.  Sometimes it's better for
> users to develop a workaround for a known bug than it is to keep
> introducing new bugs.

Yes, exactly.

To clarify: if someone comes up with a clearly safe change to avoid
this situation, I won't object.  It's just that we were burned in the
past when we tried to change the order server.el does things when
showing a new file, so any significant changes in that area is from my
POV a non-starter.