Subject: [bug#50740] [PATCH v2] gnu: Add wmname.

From: Sarah Morgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 18:23:59 -0700

Hello,

Alexandru-Sergiu Marton <[email-masked]> writes:

> * gnu/packages/suckless.scm (wmname): New variable.
> ---
>
> I applied the changes suggested by Sarah and added a copyright line. I left
> the license set to license:x11 because I saw that other suckless packages that
> seem to have the same license still use license:x11 (such as dwm).

Thanks for sending an updated patch.

Regarding licensing...

Just because other people are doing something doesn't mean it's the
right answer :)  But if we don't trust interpreting the license text
ourselves, let's check with a third party source:

It looks like the fsf wiki lists wmname as expat [0].

In fact, I checked a few other suckless packages which we list as x11,
and the fsf wiki also lists them as expat instead: dwm [1], dmenu [2],
ST [3].

So those are incorrect.  I suppose I'll open a bug for that.

[0] https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Wmname#tab=Details
[1] https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Dwm#tab=Details
[2] https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Dmenu#tab=Details
[3] https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/ST#tab=Details

--
Sarah