Subject: bug#50728: closed (Re: bug#50728: Update Pandoc (just on my machine))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 12:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#50728: Update Pandoc (just on my machine)

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
50728: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=50728
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#50728: Update Pandoc (just on my machine)
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 08:57:19 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

[email-masked] writes:

> I know that there is this issue:
>
> http://issues.guix.gnu.org/39798
>
> And it was closed because Guix wants to stay with the LTS version of
> Haskell.
>
> But I need to use some features that come in later versions of pandoc.
>
> A few of my static site generator projects break because I need features
> that come after 2.7.x, which is the version that Guix packages.
>
> Can someone explain to me how to package the latest pandoc just on my
> own computer?
>
> Thanks.

The first step is configuring a development setup as explained in "info
'(guix)Contributing" sections.

Then you'd want to update the version and source fields with the new
version details (guix hash -rx on the checkout or guix download
https://tarball-url) to retrieve the new hash.

Then you'd summarily review the new sources for important changes such
as a change to their licensing.  A Changelog or NEWS file can be helpful
to understand what has changed, if available.

Then you'd start iterating on building the new package with something
like:

$ ./pre-inst-env guix build pandoc

If it's your lucky day it'll build without any change; but if it's a
major update you might have to modify the inputs or even update them in
prior commits.

Good luck!

If you have further questions, please ask on the [email-masked]
mailing list.  I'll close this bug, as this tracker should remain focus
on actual bugs rather than update/packaging requests.

Thanks,

Maxim

Subject: Update Pandoc (just on my machine)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 16:46:05 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I know that there is this issue:

http://issues.guix.gnu.org/39798

And it was closed because Guix wants to stay with the LTS version of
Haskell.

But I need to use some features that come in later versions of pandoc.

A few of my static site generator projects break because I need features
that come after 2.7.x, which is the version that Guix packages.

Can someone explain to me how to package the latest pandoc just on my
own computer?

Thanks.

~vidak