Subject: bug#50718: closed (Re: bug#50718: 28.0.50; `split-string` fails on certain unicode strings)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 15:30:06 +0000

Your bug report

#50718: 28.0.50; `split-string` fails on certain unicode strings

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
50718: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=50718
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#50718: 28.0.50; `split-string` fails on certain unicode strings
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], dalanicolai <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 08:29:27 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> tags 50718 notabug
> thanks
>
>> From: dalanicolai <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 11:27:48 +0200
>>
>> Evaluate: (split-string "१०.३" ".")
>> It wrongly returns a list with only empty string.
>> Of course it should return alist with the individual devanagari numbers.
>
> That's a cockpit error: the SEPARATORS argument should be a regular
> expression, so you should use "\\." instead.

I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Subject: 28.0.50; `split-string` fails on certain unicode strings
From: dalanicolai <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 11:27:48 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Evaluate: (split-string "१०.३" ".")
It wrongly returns a list with only empty string.
Of course it should return alist with the individual devanagari numbers.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30,
cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-09-06 built on daniel-fedora
Repository revision: c4724add006e62b81f847937db56335a81bdcc74
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Fedora 34 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils --with-cairo --with-modules --with-pgtk
 --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug comp comp-cstr warnings rx message rmc
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
time-date subr-x cl-extra shortdoc text-property-search seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv help-fns radix-tree help-mode cl-loaddefs
cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 94870 10759)
 (symbols 48 7970 1)
 (strings 32 23722 1760)
 (string-bytes 1 872683)
 (vectors 16 16528)
 (vector-slots 8 305866 17210)
 (floats 8 71 35)
 (intervals 56 444 0)
 (buffers 992 14))