Subject: Re: bug#50686: Show number of downloads on packages on GNU ELPA/NonGNU ELPA

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 15:05:38 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I think we should show the number of downloads on packages on GNU ELPA
>> and NonGNU ELPA.  This information should be shown on both the package
>> page, and in the package listing.
>
> I think that's a very good idea.  There's an information disclosure
> issue, I guess, but the privacy implications should be pretty much
> non-existent.

For reference, here are some sample logs from the server that Stefan
Monnier sent me in 2021, with all IPs changed to 127.0.0.1 or ::1.

I apologize in advance if the formatting is messed up, obviously there
will be exactly one log message (starting with the IP address) per line.

127.0.0.1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:02:27 -0400] "GET /packages/ HTTP/1.1"
200 36385 "-" "curl/7.47.0"
127.0.0.1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:02:41 -0400] "GET
/packages/auto-overlays-0.10.8.tar.lz HTTP/1.1" 200 43410 "-"
"CCBot/3.1
(https://commoncrawl.org/faq/; [email-masked])"
127.0.0.1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:02:56 -0400] "GET
/packages/auto-overlays-0.10.9.tar.lz HTTP/1.1" 200 43672 "-"
"CCBot/3.1
(https://commoncrawl.org/faq/; [email-masked])"
127.0.0.1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:03:00 -0400] "GET /archive-contents
HTTP/1.1" 404 491 "-" "URL/Emacs Emacs/27.2 (X11;
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)"
127.0.0.1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:03:19 -0400] "GET /archive-contents
HTTP/1.1" 404 491 "-" "URL/Emacs Emacs/27.2 (X11;
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)"
::1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:04:09 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 4133 "-"
"check_http/v1.5 (nagios-plugins 1.5)"
::1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:04:12 -0400] "GET /packages/archive-contents
HTTP/1.1" 200 95101 "-" "URL/Emacs Emacs/27.1
(Windows-NT; 32bit; i686-w64-mingw32)"
::1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:04:12 -0400] "GET
/packages/archive-contents.sig HTTP/1.1" 200 738 "-" "URL/Emacs
Emacs/27.1
(Windows-NT; 32bit; i686-w64-mingw32)"
127.0.0.1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:04:18 -0400] "GET /org-readme.txt
HTTP/1.1" 404 491 "-" "URL/Emacs Emacs/27.2 (X11;
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)"
::1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:04:47 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.0" 200 4133 "-"
"check_http/v1.5 (nagios-plugins 1.5)"
127.0.0.1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:05:02 -0400] "GET
/packages/javascript/jquery.filtertable.min.js HTTP/1.1" 404 491
"http://elpa.gnu.org/packages//svg-clock.html" "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux;
Android 6.0.1; Nexus 5X Build/MMB29P) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like
Gecko)
Chrome/94.0.4606.61 Mobile Safari/537.36 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1;
+http://www.google.com/bot.html)"
127.0.0.1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:05:36 -0400] "GET /packages/ HTTP/1.1"
200 36385 "-" "curl/7.47.0"
127.0.0.1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:06:00 -0400] "GET
/packages/archive-contents HTTP/1.1" 200 95101 "-" "URL/Emacs"
127.0.0.1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:06:00 -0400] "GET /packages/seq-2.23.tar
HTTP/1.1" 200 13095 "-" "URL/Emacs"
127.0.0.1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:06:01 -0400] "GET
/packages/let-alist-1.0.6.el HTTP/1.1" 200 2641 "-" "URL/Emacs"
127.0.0.1 - - [01/Oct/2021:00:06:37 -0400] "GET
/packages/archive-contents HTTP/1.1" 200 95064 "-" "URL/Emacs
Emacs/27.2 (Windows-NT; 32bit;
i686-w64-mingw32)"