Subject: Re: bug#50679: 28.0.50; outline-minor-mode-cycle should be able to only cycle at the begining of a line

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 11:58:12 +0000

Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 at 11:27, Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I would appreciate something like this too, but you are right that it
>> sounds like a separate functionality. Compared to
>> outline-mode-cycle-map, this would most certainly have to operate on the
>> beginning of a line, otherwise apparently random keys would suddenly
>> throw the user around without them expecting it.
>
> I thought your point was that TAB for cycling also gets in the way if
> it's available anywhere other than at the beginning of a line.

Yes, but Juri is right that there is a more general issue that tab is
never always appropriate. Just yesterday I ran into the edge-case of
trying to indent a line inwards, and instead of indenting it folded the
definition, because the line unintentionally began with outline-regexp.

> So I think it's actually the _same_ functionality, and only the naming
> doesn't reflect that.  To put it in a slightly different way, there
> would be no need for a `outline-mode-cycle-map' if something called
> `outline-speed-keys-map' (a keymap installed only at column 0 of
> heading lines) existed.

How about both? If you just want to press tab anywhere, use cycle, and
otherwise use speed-keys? Or would that be overkill?

-- 
	Philip Kaludercic