Subject: bug#50667: Update ecomplete when used via standard UI

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 04:28:41 +0100

Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]> writes:

> If one keeps sets
>
>     (setq message-mail-alias-type nil ;; or keep the default 'abbrev
>           message-expand-name-standard-ui t)
>
> and an ecomplete database file, then everything works OOTB, except that
> the ecomplete database doesn't get updated with new addresses.

[...]

> -      (when (and (message-mail-alias-type-p 'ecomplete)
> +      (when (and (bound-and-true-p ecomplete-database)
>  		 (not message-inhibit-ecomplete))
>  	(message-put-addresses-in-ecomplete))

There wasn't any response for Stefan for what he was thinking when
adding the standard-ui variable 😀, but this can't be the correct
solution.  If message-mail-alias-type isn't 'ecomplete, there's nothing
to tell the code here that we want to put addresses in ecomplete.
Furthermore, this would break the functionality of that setting --
ecomplete-database will be nil when you start, so it'll never put
anything there.

So I think the right solution here (if you want to combine these two
things) is to put message-put-addresses-in-ecomplete into
message-sent-hook.  So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no