Subject: Re: bug#50666: 28.0.50; Fix native compilation on Cygwin

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 10:27:27 -0400

On 9/19/2021 9:41 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 08:37:52 -0400
>>
>> Cygwin could maintain a per-user database of *.eln files and their base
>> addresses.  (It already maintains a system database of this type.)  The each
>> time a new *.eln file is created, it could be rebased and added to the database
>> before being loaded.
> 
> I don't think I understand: rebased and added how? manually?

No, by a script that Cygwin would have to create and that Emacs would call.  We 
already have scripts that do system-wide rebasing (and that are run 
automatically, without user intervention).  The question would be how to extend 
this to per-user rebasing.  Achim and I have just begun discussing this on the 
Cygwin mailing lists (currently the cygwin-apps list).  I think it's doable with 
some effort.

In the meantime, is it OK if I install my patch to enable building with native 
compilation?  That would simplify experimentation.

Ken